Sunday 21 August 2011

Alas, the Taj Mahal!!!

It had to be close to150 degrees today....as i was sitting on a bench, starring directly at the Taj Mahal.  Although i was sweating bullets out of my new, overpriced golden shirt that i bought from Zara at Phoenix Mall in Mumbai, something hit me.  It was one of those moments where a split second feels like several days and for that second, i felt consumed with complete and total joy. How could you stare at something so amazing, so gorgeous, so historic, so meaningful, so touching and have a single care in the world.  Knowing that years and years ago twenty thousand laborers worked to build such a monument but not all twenty thousand lived to see the result. And here i am, admiring its beauty. With the struggle and the passion it took to build it, all i could offer back was "Wow" and my feeling of appreciation.  It's not much but i did discover something about myself in that split second.....that from then on, no matter where i would find myself next in the world, i had to become my own best friend. I was the only person that was i going to live with me my entire life so i might as well get to know myself and treat myself like the valuable person i am.

Well i didn't think all of that in a split second but i did think of it until i couldn't stand the heat any longer and got up.  After i covered my shoes with little white shoe covers (which was required--either that or take your shoes off), I walked around the compounds of the Taj Mahal, went inside, snapped some pictures and went on my way.  It was an amazing experience....probably one of the best sights my eyes have laid eyes on, and one it will never forget.  The trip to and from Agra (where the Taj Mahal is) was an even more interesting experience. I sat in the backseat of the care as people continued to stare at me as they were driving/walking or riding my. In India, they just have no shame when it comes to starring.  Please stare at me so hard that sometimes i have no choice but to stare back so that they will stop looking at me. Then again, i'm not sure how many black women with long golden braids they see on a daily basis. That may contribute a little to the starring :). By the way, my driver was driving like a complete maniac..i was clinging onto my seat or forcing myself to fall asleep at any given time.  He was speeding in which i joking asked him to slow down (but meant it), blasting Bollywood songs (which i didn't really mind) and then asking me personal questions like if i had a boyfriend and did i smoke and drink beer. I obviously lied and said i had a boyfriend....then he asked to see pictures of him! I just acted like i didn't understand his English...it worked.


I was extremely excited to get back to the Guest House and get out of the car. As i was getting out the driver said, "Ma'am...Tip?" I laughed really hard in my head, then replied with ...."tomorrow". I do plan on giving him a tip tomorrow...i actually didn't have any change at the time and i also thought in my head "I bought you lunch today and a drink, and now your asking ME for a tip! especially with your wild driving!!"...but i didn't say that out loud. Maybe i should have.

All that happened on Sunday.....

My discrete attempt to take a pic of the Bollywood Stars
On Saturday, the day before the trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal, my flight arrived to New Delhi, the capital of India very early in the morning. Apparently i was on the flight with two Bollywood stars. All the little kids kept taking pictures of them. I had no clue who they were but i thought about taking a picture with them then googling who they were later that day. I tried to discretely take a picture of them...It didnt come out very well..as you can see.  The first thing i said when i got out of the airport was "Wow! this is nice!!!" No wonder New Delhi is the capital and not Mumbai! Its gorgeous here! Of course you'll still find mega huge cows roaming around, poor women and children knocking on your car window asking for food, broken down kiosks selling coca cola and lays chips and pockets of traffic BUTT, its not as dirty, crowded, smelly, traffic infested and fast paced as Mumbai. Its like the comparison between New York and Chicago.  Chicago is the nicer, cleaner, friendlier version of New York, except New York will always be better..more stuff to do, more foreigners, busy, fun....so here goes: MUMBAI:NEW YORK as NEW DELHI:CHICAGO.  While in Delhi, here are the awesome attractions that i visited!!! See Below----->>>> just,  AWESOME!!

Akshardham Temple in New Delhi
Humayun Tomb in New Delhi

Statue of Lord Shiva in Gurgaon

I spent the rest of the weekend eating Donatos pizza and watching, well you know what..... Bollywood movies and these YouTube videos...on replay!


No comments:

Post a Comment